Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Recipe: Maple Buttercream Frosting


If you want to level-up your donuts or cupcakes, or even your French toast, this is the right decision. My oldest daughter spreads it between two pieces of French toast and eats it like a sammie, food-boss style. *I woke up and dreamed up the most incredible stuffed French toast with maple buttercream frosting, and then I found that I had, in fact, not invented maple buttercream. Here is the recipe the way I make it.

Maple Buttercream Frosting

 

Ingredients:

1 c. butter, room temperature (I use salted butter)

3 c. powdered sugar (for a less buttery taste, add up to 3/4 c. more)

1 t. vanilla extract, no fake stuff

1 t. maple extract or mapleine

 

Instructions:

1. Beat butter and add powdered sugar one cup at a time until well blended.

2. Mix in vanilla and maple extracts.

3. Beat mixture for several minutes until light and fluffy.

Cook’s Note: You can put it in a piping bag and pipe onto your baked goods, or you can spread it on with a knife or spatula. If using on French toast, let toasts cool slightly or mixture will melt too much. Do not use real maple syrup if you want a true buttercream frosting because it will be runny, from what I have read. Also, I do not like real maple syrup anyway (Team Log Cabin!), so I am biased.

Pairing ideas: use on donuts, chocolate cupcakes, carrot/spice cake, homemade gingersnaps, sugar cookies; French toast, pancakes, crepes; baked sweet potatoes, cooked carrots.

This tastes freaking amazing on these homemade donuts. Just skip the maple icing and pipe on this maple buttercream instead. 

No comments: