Friday, March 21, 2008

Recipe: Vanishing Wheat-Oatmeal Cookies

These cookies are probably healthy enough to eat for breakfast--I can't imagine that they have any more sugar than a bowl of kids' sugar cereal. And I fib not when I tell you that I cannot even taste the whole wheat--they literally taste just like regular yummy oatmeal cookies.

Vanishing Wheat-Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients:
1 c. butter, softened
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs
1-1/2 t. vanilla extract
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 c. + all-purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. cinnamon
a few dashes nutmeg
1/2 t. salt
3 c. old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 to 1 c. raisins, chocolate chips, etc

Directions:
Blend butter and sugars until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well. Add vanilla. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Mix well. Stir in oats and raisins or chips. Drop by tablespoon onto greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes, until just golden.

Note: Cookies should not be flat. If the cookies turn out flat, mix in more all-purpose flour, 1/4 c. at a time. Also, I substituted 3/4 c. of the rolled oats with 3/4 c. rolled 5-grain cereal for a healthy variation. This recipe is adapted from one my mother received from Julane Wells in Montana (I added whole wheat and nutmeg).

No comments: